Module 12: Google Earth

The purpose of this lab was to create a map and tour in Google Earth using layers from a previous ArcGIS Pro lab, the Module 10 Dot Density lab. In order to convert the ArcGIS pro layers from the previous lab into usable files for Google Earth, I used the Layer to KML tool. I converted 3 different feature layers - Counties, Surface Water, and Population - to KML. These layers were then added to Google Earth and placed in a separate file folder for the lab.

In order to finalize the dot density map to share with others, I added a legend. To add the legend I created for this project in ArcGIS Pro, I captured the image using the Snipping tool and saved it as a PNG file. I then zoomed into the area I wanted it in Google Earth and used the Image Overlay option under the Add drop down menu. I then scaled and oriented the image as needed. In order to change the order of the layers, I right-clicked the layer and under properties, and changed the Altitude. In order to save the whole map to share, I right-clicked the folder and chose Save as Place. The Google Earth dot density map is above.

The second part of the lab was to create a tour of populated places in South Florida and share it as a KMZ file. In order to do this, I added Placemarks for targeted locations with the Add Placemarks button. I created a new folder in Google Earth and added placemarks to this folder for: South Florida (a view of the dot density map), Miami Metropolitan Area (from Jupiter to southern Miam-Dade county), downtown Miami, downtown Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa Bay Area, St. Petersburg, and downtown Tampa. I also turned on 3D buildings for the tour and unchecked the placemarks so they would not be visible in the tour. I used the Record Tour button and double clicked each placemark for the tour. I turned the dot density layer off as the tour zoomed into downtown locations and turned it on when the tour zoomed to larger areas. I also zoomed in and panned around the downtown locations. I saved the tour and moved it to the placemarks folder. I also moved the map layers to the folder. I right-clicked the folder and chose Save as Place to save the tour as a sharable KMZ file.

It was easy to convert layers to KML files to view in Google Earth. And it was easy to create maps and tours with these layers in Google Earth. This is a great option for sharing layers, maps, and tours with those who do not have access to ArcGIS Pro or other GIS software.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 6: Proportional Symbol and Bivariate Choropleth Mapping

Module 2: Coordinate Systems

Module 4: Color Concepts & Choropleth Mapping