Lab 4 - ArcCollector and Data Sharing


The purpose of this lab was to collect field data using ArcGIS Collector and then use the collected field data to explore several methods to create and share the resulting maps: ArcGIS Online map, story map, Google Earth KMZ web map and map package. 

I chose to collect field data on fire hydrants on my running route. Before heading out to collect data, I created a new feature class with a custom attribute table and a "Condition" domain that included a list to assess the condition of the hydrants. I uploaded the feature class to ArcGIS Online and  created map. I downloaded the ArcGIS Collector on my phone and used it to survey the fire hydrants during my run. I found the ArcGIS Collector App easy to use. My domains were set up correctly and I could choose from the list I created. I was also surprised that the Date field automatically allowed selection from a scrolling list. I was worried that I would have to enter the date manually and I could see how that would create issues with inconsistency in how dates were entered, particularly with multiple users. My only issue was with the order of the fields. It took a few moments to find the Date and Notes fields since they were at the bottom of the list and I had to scroll to find them. I would change the order and see if that made a difference in future surveys. This app would be useful in a variety of situations and be particularly helpful in increasing efficiency and reducing duplication of work. The field data automatically populated the ArcGIS Online map, which included links to pictures I took during the survey. 

I explored other ways to share the map features, other than simply sharing the ArcGIS Online map. I was also able to view the ArcGIS Online map through the Portal on ArcGIS Pro and create a map package that I shared with UWF. This package is editable by the users with whom the package was shared. In addition, I created KMZ files from the ArcGIS Online map and ArcGIS Pro maps and uploaded these to Google Earth on a web map. The difference between these two methods of creating KMZ files is that the pictures were not included in the file created with ArcGIS Online. Although the color symbology was retained in the Google Earth map, there was no legend explaining the colors. There was also limited functionality in terms of editing the features in the Google Earth map - features could only be renamed and deleted. Finally, I created and shared a story map from the ArcGIS Online map: http://arcg.is/1CDzD90. Of all the methods used to share the field data, the story map had the least functionality in terms of modifying the data. The story map is only for sharing and viewing information. The method used to share data will be determined by the purpose of the share: the extent that the data need to be modified.

On a personal note and something interesting from my surveys: the hydrants changed color and shape during my survey. My route crosses into another county. Apparently the hydrants are different in the two counties. The hydrants are not very far apart and if you look at the pictures on the map, you can clearly see the hydrant differences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 6: Proportional Symbol and Bivariate Choropleth Mapping

Module 2: Coordinate Systems

Module 4: Color Concepts & Choropleth Mapping