Lab 2 - Own Your Map


This is the second lab assignment for Introduction to GIS. The purpose of this lab was to become familiar with the Layout view in ArcGIS Pro and create a personalized map template with the UWF GIS Online essential map elements: Title, Scale, Legend, North Arrow, Border, Date, Data Source, and Cartographer Name. In this way, I am developing the skills to "Own Your Map" and truly make it my own. The final product is a map of the location of the University of West Florida’s (UWF) Main Campus within Escambia County. There is an inset map of the state of Florida, with Escambia in red, orienting the audience to its location within the state. Because Escambia County is longer than it is wide, I chose a portrait orientation. I used neutral background and fill colors for the inset map and legend so as not to distract from the main focus of the map – the location of the UWF campus. I attempted to match the Title colors and font with the UWF logo colors and font for consistency.  I preferred to leave the topographic background surrounding Escambia County for reference. The UWF campus location is a large star to draw the audience’s attention to its location and standard symbology for highways and rivers, black and blue respectively, are used. I enjoyed exploring the symbology and different design elements to find the best way to display and arrange them on the page to create my map. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 6: Proportional Symbol and Bivariate Choropleth Mapping

Module 2: Coordinate Systems

Module 4: Color Concepts & Choropleth Mapping