Module 2: Introduction to Graphic Design with Adobe Illustrator

The purpose of this lab is to learn basic tools in Adobe Illustrator to enhance map features of a map from ArcGIS Online originally created in ArcGIS Pro. The final map is to be a basic Florida map for a children's encyclopedia which includes Essential Map Elements as well as 3 state symbol images. My final map is above. 

Adobe Illustrator (AI) is not an intuitive program and is initially difficult to navigate. All elements are in layers and when new items are added, they are added to whichever layer is selected. Sometimes it was easier to create a new layer in order to add new elements, as was the case with the images on the map. I had to be sure to select a layer first before adding elements, otherwise they were sometimes added to a layer that would obscure the element (they can also be reordered in the layers pane after adding). 

Because this was geared towards children, I chose a simple title with a soft font and made it large and bold with a simple subtitle. I also added the state seal image to fill the space in the upper right hand corner. 

In order to change the Major Cities symbols, I used a Find and Replace script provided in the lab. I chose simple map symbols found in AI. I also changed the capital city symbol to a general map symbol and made it larger to draw attention to the fact that it is the capital. I also made the label of the capital larger for this reason. In addition, I chose to change the symbols of 3 other well known Florida cities and labeled the cities by anchoring the label to the new symbols. Again, I used simple map symbols from AI.

I also changed the colors of the map features to better match the features, light blue and blue for rivers and lakes, respectively, and green for marshes. I chose a lighter green for the counties as this color did not distract from the other feature colors. 

I chose to add 3 state nature symbols for consistency in theme: the state bird, animal and flower. The images were originally rectangles, but I wanted the edges to be softer. In order to change the shape of the images, I used the Ellipse Shape Tool and then clipped them using Clip Mask. I wanted the image labels to wrap around the image to make better use of the map space. In order to do this I used the Ellipse Shape and drew around the images and used the Type on Path tool to label the images. Sometimes the label would be off center and I found that by selecting the text and moving the Intersect line I could re-position the text.

Finally, I added a map frame. I did this by using the Rectangle Shape Tool and adding the layer to the bottom of all the layers. I left the fill white because I felt that this was the only color that did not distract from the rest of the map images. I made the outline simple and used two stylistic effects: Round Corners and Drop Shadow. I felt that the round corners went with the round images and softer fonts. The Drop Shadow makes the map seem like it is popping out of the page and draws attention to those elements.

I look forward to experimenting with Adobe Illustrator to enhance map elements in future assignments.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 6: Proportional Symbol and Bivariate Choropleth Mapping

Module 2: Coordinate Systems

Module 4: Color Concepts & Choropleth Mapping